Seventh learning project and summary of learning the guitar

I had appointments today and needed to pick up my guitar from Road Dogs Music. They installed a button on my Acoustic Guitar. Apparently, Acoustic Guitars don’t come with the button for the strap and some people use shoelaces!

The shoelaces look silly to me, some people can use them and not worry about them. So I bought a $10.00 Guitar Strap for my guitar so I can walk around the house and know I have to practice. I got a good deal on the strap and I should play more often! But just like homework I can pout and make all the excuses not to do it! But when I start playing the guitar I remember how therapeutic it is, then it’s hard to put it down.

Once I had some free time away from my daughter I went to the Yukon University Library and printed off some guitar tabs from GuitarNick.com for encouragement. This helped me to focus on another goal and play another song for my learning journey. I chose Amazin Grace and Our God for my next project.

As I was learning these songs, I would often take breaks because they were hard. My daughter Teanna took that opportunity and started to learn chords.

She helped me to find the joy of learning the guitar and the more we took turns it got easier. Teanna loves to play and listen to the steel guitar strings on the guitar.

She stayed up with me for hours and learned the guitar from morning until night. She inspired me to keep moving forward with the guitar and she is getting better each day.

As Teanna played the guitar I would take the opportunity to read about Chords and Tabs. I went straight for the guitar and learning Chords, instead of learning how to read tabs or chords. Ooops…But now I realized that I need to catch up on some reading and get a better understanding of the guitar.

I’m still working on the songs I picked and I need to purchase a Capo so I can play the F Chord. I was struggling because I tried to play it without a Capo and it did not go well. Apparently, a lot of people have a hard time with the F Chord and there’s a website to help with the problem.

This was a productive week of playing the guitar and taking breaks to go for hikes and pick some flowers. The weather was hot and my family was lucky not to get a sunburn since I was doing homework during the day. In the evening we would go for walks and enjoy the scenery.

It was a good week and good timing to get some pictures of the beautiful sky. I’m so glad to have been able to practice at home with my family. This week I just reflected on my life with my daughter and how far we’ve come. We have a relationship that I treasure because we enjoy each other’s company with many different hobbies. I believe our passion to pursue Guitar will be beneficial to us in the future.

This is my Before and After Learning Project Chart

Summary of my Guitar Learning Project

In my second week of learning the guitar I used guitar tabs that was recommended from my friend Amanda. Then I went on to YouTube and watched videos while I tried to start a guitar group with some friends. Then I went to the library to look for books and DVDs to help me on my learning journey. This week was lovely because I got to sing songs with Teanna while I learned Chords.

In my third week I tried my best to learn the guitar but none of my friends wanted to start a guitar group. I felt alone and I made a mistake on my D Chord. So, I took that week for some self-care and went for a walk around McIntyre Creek.

In my fourth week I was able to get new strings on my guitar and get it tuned up. It sounds way better and I got a response from a few people about guitar lessons. I learned more chords this week and I’m keeping my journal close to document everything. I noticed if I had music playing in the background, playing the guitar was easier. Now I understand why a lot of other people do this.

Fifth week of learning the guitar, my friend Herra came over to give me guitar lessons. She taught me about the guitar and shared her story with me about how she learned to play. I love hearing how people turn to instruments in the time of need. I felt more confident this week because Herra mentioned that she was surprised of how much Chords I knew. This took a big load off my shoulders and guitar playing got easier.

Sixth week of learning the guitar I was excited and scared at the same time. I think it’s because I was starting to get the hang of playing the guitar and I was confident of playing a song. I couldn’t learn from Herra’s video so I went back to YouTube and found a video that helped me play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Then I realized that I learn better online than in person with guitar lessons. This week brought more confidence and I found more resources online to help me with my learning journey!  

These past few months I noticed how my family has grown with the guitar and enjoyed each other’s company. I bought this guitar this winter and never had time to play because I was busy with school. Thank you Katia for encouraging me to pick up my guitar and learn from this experience. I believe I am going to continue to learn the guitar with my family because it’s a blessing in disguise. I found a way to connect with my family in a positive direction and my parents love to sing. So, this will help my family to heal, grow and move forward. Haii Choo, Mahsi Choo, Merci, Thank you.

1 thought on “Seventh learning project and summary of learning the guitar

1. Rosalie Krengnektak

This is amazing Janet, I loved the videos you added in your post especially one of your daughter Teanna. It is amazing and awesome to see and hear your daughter was able to be part of your learning journey of learning the guitar. I always thought the strap comes with the guitar even if it is a new one but happy you were able to get a great deal for yours. I liked the links you provided as they are great for any first time learners who might have trouble finding chords and who want to learn how to play a guitar. Congratulations in your learning project and good luck in your future learning in creating beautiful music with your daughter. Thank you for sharing your amazing post!

Reply